Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Year of Magical Thinking in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Year of Magical Thinking is a memoir detailing the effects of grief and loss on Joan Didion’s personal life.
The Big Takeaways:
- Joan experienced loss in a way that was normal yet felt strange.
- If Her daughter had been hospitalized with pneumonia, and her husband suffered cardiac arrest.
- Although her husband had just died, Joan found a way to recover her agency.
- She considered getting both her husband and daughter in the same hospital.
- The memories Joan carried of her husband and their marriage played a significant role in her grief.
- She tried to carry out the memories on her own but was not always successful.
- Joan eventually entered denial about the death of her husband, John.
- She started considering the “What if’s?” and found herself unable to accept his death.
- Sometimes life does not have happy endings for our loved ones, but we must keep moving forward.
- The only way to move on is to let go.