Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
In this New York Times bestseller, Mark Manson shows the extreme price people pay for caring about things that do not matter.
Manson takes a painfully honest look at the brutal world we live in and gives us timeless advice that we all need to hear about only caring about what really matters.
- Don’t ask yourself what you want out of life, ask what you’re willing to struggle for
- Everything of true value requires effort and adversity at times, whether it be succeeding in your career or raising a family.
- Example: Star athletes have endured the discomfort of physical training, been disciplined about their nutrition, and have almost certainly had to persevere through an injury or another setback.
- It is very difficult to be happy if you measure yourself against others
- Define happiness in your own terms and never define success based on other people.
- Example: David Mustaine was kicked out of Metallica right before they became stars. He went on to start Megadeth, which achieved a lot of success, but he never could be happy about it because Metallica was always higher up on the charts.
- Define your values and do not value the wrong things
- People who value pleasure and/or things above all else are some of the unhappiest people.
- Example: To make sure you don’t emphasize the wrong values in your life, take care to define what you do value, and work towards that.
- Take responsibility for all of your problems, even the ones that aren’t your fault
- You can choose how to respond to difficult situations. You can choose to feel victimized or you can choose to find the opportunity in them.
- Example: You may be upset about losing a job, but rather than sulking and being angry at your boss, choose to find the opportunity that may come from having time to consider what you want the next step to be.
- Certainty is the enemy of personal growth
- Many budding artists feel reluctant to show their work because they fear their identities will be crushed if they fail. We have to learn to liberate ourselves from our identities.
- Example: A man who had always identified himself as a CEO let go of this identity and found happiness in pursuing his hobbies.
- Live in the here and now
- Some people are so terrified of dying that they try to be immortal through the pursuit of fame and power, which has led to a great deal of destruction.
- Example: The author urges you to “not give a f*ck” about what happens after your death, but instead spread joy and happiness in the here and now.