Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Righteous Mind in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Righteous Mind discusses how we make moral decisions and judgment calls.
The Big Takeaways:
- Logic does not drive our moral judgment; emotion does.
- If Our emotions will always play a role in decision-making, so don’t set them aside.
- People’s selfishness influences their logical thoughts.
- People are concerned about keeping their good reputation and make decisions based on self-interest.
- Moral interests are different amongst the cultures of the world but are based on similar frameworks.
- While people in different cultures have similar structures, they can manifest in various ways.
- The evolution of humans has made us focused on our self-interest while still considering the humanitarian aspects of life.
- People are willing to compromise in groups, yet competition causes us to be selfish.
- Religion can bear ethical communities that work collectively.
- Religion-centered groups accentuate the importance of trusting others, increasing cooperation and cohesion.