Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Headspace Guide To Meditation and Mindfulness in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Through the immensely popular Headspace app, and now through this guide, Andy Puddicombe has led millions down the path toward a fulfilling and peaceful existence without the worries and distractions that plague others.
- Meditate to cultivate peace and fulfillment in your life
- Meditation improves your awareness of feelings and how you process them, helps you keep thoughts from spiraling out of control, and helps you get to a calm and relaxed state.
- Example: Rather than try to push away distracting or unpleasant thoughts, be aware of the thoughts coming in and let them wash away on their own.
- Set reasonable expectations for your meditation practice
- The key to long-lasting contentment isn’t suppressing negative emotions, but allowing yourself to feel the emotion and let it dissipate on its own.
- Example: Think of your thoughts as cars on a busy highway. Rather than jumping in the middle of the road to stop the cars, just observe them and let them pass.
- Start with just ten minutes of meditation to experience the benefits
- Ten minutes of inward focus on the present, or on your body, your breathing, or the sounds or smells around you can have a positive impact on your well-being.
- Example: For ten minutes, bring your focus onto your body from head to toe. Calmly pull your focus back when you notice your mind being swept into other thoughts.
- Meditate actively or passively at whatever point in the day works best for you
- There are many ways to meditate besides just sitting still, such as walking or running.
- Example: While walking, focus on how your body feels as it takes each step. Pay attention to what you hear, see, feel, or smell in the moment.
- Use meditation to improve your relationships with others
- When you create more inner space to be aware of your thoughts and feelings, you become more mindful of others’ thoughts and feelings too.
- Example: Through meditation, you’ll become aware of how you and others process serious events, and thus more prepared to navigate these events with more peace.
- Use mindfulness through meditation to impact other parts of your life
- Meditation can make you more aware of each moment, particularly in those areas of your life where you struggle the most.
- Example: Patients have overcome insomnia by meditating as they prepare for sleep.
- Regular meditation will reduce stress and enhance your quality of life
- Meditation lowers blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, consumption of oxygen, and boosts the immune system.
- Example: Scientific studies have shown a direct correlation between meditation and decreased symptoms of anxiety and depression.