Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Emperor Of All Maladies in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Emperor of All Maladies discusses cancer and its biological components as well as the methods used to give our body a chance to fight for its life.
The Big Takeaways:
- Cancer cells grow exponentially to form tumors made up of our own cells.
- If While own bodies can cause cancer, there are always external causes of the lethal disease.
- Some chemicals that cause cancer also stop our immune systems from fighting it.
- Typically, our immune systems are prepared to get rid of mutating cells, but certain toxins can prevent that from happening.
- Several things influence the risk of cancer, including radiation, hormones, and biology.
- Some things that cause cancer can also be used to fight it, such as radiation.
- Radiation is the next best option after surgery and chemotherapy.
- Radiotherapy is critical for treating tumors but is often used in combination with other treatments such as surgery.
- Lasker and Farber helped pave the way for our understanding of cancer.
- Their research was more focused on drugs that could help treat the disease instead of researching the underlying factors of cancer.