Ready to learn the most important takeaways from The Beauty Myth in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
The Beauty Myth talks to readers about the pressure put on women to possess a particular type of beauty despite who they are naturally and the effects this pressure has on the well-being of women.
The Big Takeaways:
- Beauty standards are just a way for society to continue to put women below men.
- If Placing the expectation of beauty on women helps maintain the structure of the patriarchy.
- Women are expected to be beautiful, even when they’re doing their job.
- An expectation to be physically presentable at work perpetuate the myth that women need to meet a standard of beauty at all times.
- Commercials and other visual advertisements further the beauty myth.
- Only certain types of women are shown in advertisement, placing pressure on women to live up to what they see.
- The beauty myth hurts women.
- Not only are women hurt emotionally by the effects of the beauty myth, but there is an evident effect on their health as well as their pocketbooks.
- To eliminate the beauty myth, we must rethink our views on women.
- Women can free themselves of the beauty myth is acknowledging the things that make it worse.