Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Team of Rivals in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Team of Rivals explains how Abraham Lincoln went from being an unlikely candidate to the leader of the Republican party.
The Big Takeaways:
- The adolescent years of Abraham Lincoln’s life are what fueled his desire always to try a little more.
- If Abraham Lincoln went through many difficult years as a child and young adult, which shaped his desire to pursue a law career.
- Politics were a rocky place, birthing The Republican Party.
- As western expansion continued, ideas on slavery became a divide for many people in politics.
- No one expected Lincolneven to be considered for the Republican nomination.
- Lincoln’s achievements were underwhelming, so no one thought initially that he would be a good candidate for the Republican Party.
- It was a shock when Lincoln was nominated at the Republican Convention.
- Lincoln’s consistency in his values proved him a strong candidate for the Republican party.
- The Emancipation Proclamation changed everything during the Civil War.
- This put Lincoln in a position to show his loyalty to all people.