Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Orientalism in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Orientalism aims to examine how Western civilization thinks, feels, and acts toward Eastern civilization.
The Big Takeaways:
- Western images painted the entirety of the East based on a tiny portion of it.
- If These images, though outdated, offensive, and inaccurate, continue to circulate in Western ads.
- Expansion in both economics and politics fueled inaccurate images of the East being passed off by Orientalists (scholars claiming to have vast knowledge of the Orient).
- If the East is rambunctious and erotic, the West appears more elite.
- Orientalism was controlled by those who had financial stakes and governmental ties.
- Some people tried to make it seem like they had some inside knowledge of the Orient just to put themselves in a favorable position.
- The picture Orientalists painted of the Orient were false.
- The ideas of the Orient were painted one way and experienced in another, forcing Orientalists to reexamine what they once believed as truth.
- Orientalism is still alive in the US.
- Several characteristics point out the existence of Orientalism within the United States today.