Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Never Eat Alone in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Expert networker and author Keith Ferrazzi will convince you of the game-changing power of networking and explain exactly how to leverage it as your most potent tool in finding profound professional success.
- You must build a strong personal network to find success in your career
- A lone wolf mentality can only get you so far.
- Example: More than twice as many job seekers find employment via personal contacts than through job advertisements or external applications.
- Make generosity and loyalty the cornerstones of your networking strategy
- The more you help and support others, the more likely they are to return the favor.
- Example: Helping a new friend move builds more loyalty than passing a business card.
- Build your network before you ever actually need to use it
- Networking to find immediate support fails because trust has not yet been established.
- Example: Asking a new acquaintance for a job referral in their industry will be far less successful than if you had built trust and loyalty with them over the past six months.
- Maximize your networking skills by finding common ties
- Building relationships is about the quality of time spent, not quantity. Find the glue that bonds you with another person, whether it be a hobby, politics, food, etc.
- Example: A person with whom you discuss similar interests will be more deeply bonded with you than they would if you stick to surface-level small talk.
- Your ability to network is dependent on your delivery of a unique message
- To make sure others remember you, take a stand and offer engaging conversation.
- Example: Potential clients will contact the freelance designer who spoke meaningfully at last month’s dinner party rather than the designer who contributed nothing.
- Use super-connectors to build your network
- Super-connectors, those who meet hundreds of new people each day, are your best bet for growing your network because they can help you connect with the right people.
- Example: Super connectors are in all fields but are particularly concentrated in journalism, politics, and restaurant/bar management.
- Formulate a networking action plan to achieve goals you’ve set for yourself
- You must identify your blue flame – the intersection between your passions and your abilities – and build specific long, middle, and short term goals to find success.
- Example: Ted’s blue flame was woodworking, so his goals were saving money, building a business plan, and building a network to market his product effectively.
- The right branding and the right mentors will help you achieve success
- Living in a consumer-driven world means you must market yourself and surround yourself with experienced people who can help expose your brand to customers.
- Example: Successful YouTubers build brands around their identities. They develop relationships with established YouTubers, using their support to grow their brand.