Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Difficult Conversations in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Difficult Conversations explains the animosity and fear that people try to avoid when faced with a verbal disagreement and how you can turn that difficult conversation into a positive experience.
The Big Takeaways:
- People avoid difficult conversations because they fear the results.
- If Some fear the other person may become angry, say harmful things, and eventually escalate the situation to the point of irreconcilable differences.
- Communication is the key to a positive outcome.
- Learning to recognize what is going on behind the scenes of an argument can lead to making better decisions.
- During any difficult conversation, three things are happening simultaneously.
- Fighting over actions, feelings, and the character of the people involved.
- It is best to use the “learning conversation” approach.
- Determine why the other person is upset to avoid blaming and seemingly bad intentions.
- Self-assess by exploring your emotional footprint.
- Ask yourself questions and listen to your inner voice to discover the truth that will lead you to a positive resolution.