Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Braiding Sweetgrass in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Braiding Sweetgrass discusses the precious relationship between nature and humans.
The Big Takeaways:
- The author was raised on a Native American reserve and thus was exposed to two completely different societies.
- If Nature provides for humans, so humans need to do their duty and give back to nature.
- The declining amount of sweetgrass reflects Native American history in the United States.
- The sacred plant is becoming increasingly difficult to find due to invasive European plant species.
- The relationship between Mother Earth and people should be based on mutuality and appreciation.
- With the factory use of non-renewable resources, there is not mutuality as the resources in nature are being depleted.
- We must be one with nature to preserve a sustainable environment.
- For example, plant trees to offset some of the effects caused by deforestation.
- By using conventional methods, we can offset some of the damage we have caused to nature.
- The Three Sisters technique is a conventional method used by Native Americans that can be applied in our society, as well.