Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Behind the Beautiful Forevers in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Behind the Beautiful Forevers paints a vivid picture of the corrupted slums of Annawadi.
The Big Takeaways:
- The balance in Annawadi is delicate.
- If Even the smallest disagreement can make one’s life in the slum change forever.
- Annawadi is not physically safe for people to reside.
- The conditions of the slum are dirty and disease-ridden.
- Rights are nearly non-existent in the slums.
- People in the slums have no right to human decency at all, and the script is often flipped so that the victim of a bad situation is targeted as the root cause of the problem.
- The people of Annawadi are often exploited, while the corrupt officials sour the programs meant to enhance their lives.
- Annawadis are prevented from bettering their lives by Annawadi officials who take far more than they give.
- Bribery runs rampant in Annawadi from elections to medical care.
- The simplest of motivation can affect the entire slum by swaying the most influential people in the slum.