Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Bad Feminist in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
Bad Feminist explains how there is no one particular way to be a feminist.
The Big Takeaways:
- We are likely all “bad feminists.”
- If The definition of “feminism” is not straight-forward, for many versions of feminism exist.
- There is not much “reality” in reality television.
- Reality television presents viewers with a distorted version of reality, playing up female stereotypes to appease to a narrow-minded audience.
- TV shows often use rape as just another storyline, making it harder for people to understand the weight of sexual assault in real life.
- People are used to seeing the battered bodies of abused women on their television screens, leaving them ignorant of the complexity of pain.
- Movies that tell the stories that seem unconventional are a step toward progress.
- In “The Help,” stereotypes were swept aside to portray a story that was true to the character of the people whose story it was telling.
- Both racism and sexism toward black Americans are still rooted in the system.
- There are far too many excuses being made for the violent acts of white men.