Ready to learn the most important takeaways from Awaken the Giant Within in less than two minutes? Keep reading!
Why This Book Matters:
In another life-changing masterpiece, author Tony Robbins outlines clear steps to harness the power of your emotions and build the destiny that you want.
- Fully commit to each decision you make to change your life
- How you frame your goals has a powerful impact on your commitment to them.
- Example: Saying “I will stop smoking by the end of this year,” will foster more commitment than saying “I’d like to stop smoking.”
- Use pleasure and pain influences to change your habits permanently
- Associate new positive habits with a pleasurable experience, and use unpleasurable experiences to deter negative habits you’re intent on removing from your life.
- Example: You could force yourself to sing the most annoying song out loud anytime you eat chocolate, no matter where you are, to avoid eating chocolate altogether.
- Evaluate, and if necessary, change your belief system to change you
- How you view the world dictates your ability to feel satisfied with your life, so take the time to evaluate how your belief system has shaped who you are.
- Example: A sixty-year-old who feels that death is around the corner will be much less happy with their life than a sixty-year-old who has appreciated each day of life thus far.
- Use transformational vocabulary to influence your outlook
- Strengthen positivity by using strong words to describe positive emotions and minimize negativity by selecting neutral words for negative experiences.
- Example: Instead of saying “I feel happy today,” say “I’m feeling totally elated.” Instead of saying “I feel horrible about last night,” try saying, “Last night was concerning.”
- Determine the best question to ask before seeking the answer
- The quality of questions you ask yourself directly impacts your happiness.
- Example: Asking “why does this always happen to me,” at each bump in the road reinforces a negative outlook. Instead, ask, “What’s the cause and how can I avoid it next time?”
- Live by a set of realistic life rules to achieve happiness
- If your rules depend on other people, you may live in constant disappointment.
- Example: “Having a friend who supports me by keeping in contact with me regularly will make me happy,” can only be effective if you communicate that with your friend.
- Determine the true root of your emotions to harness them when necessary
- Finding the cause of your feelings instead of generalizing them into a “mood” will put you in the right mental place to use transformational vocabulary to move past it.
- Example: You realize you feel sad because you’ve been spending too much time working. You remedy it by calling your best friend to get together.
- Contribute to society, even in the smallest way, to effect positivity in your life
- Taking small steps to make a positive change for yourself often has an echoing effect.
- Example: Even a small action to help someone else can have a powerful impact.